Saturday, January 31, 2015

K1N - Pumped for Navassa

Back when I first got interested in Amateur radio, I remember an article published in 73 Magazine about a DXpedition to Navassa Island.

This was something of an unusual article for 73 Magazine -- which, at the time, generally focused more on radio technology and construction articles. However, since the publisher Wayne Green W2NSD/1 had been part of the DXpedition, it was no surprise the story was covered.

I don't remember why, but the tale of hauling equipment and personnel up a steel rope and angle iron ladder from an inflatable boat amidst all the waves, surging and swells captured my imagination. You can read an account here.

It would be over a decade later that I would join the Atlanta Radio Club myself, but for some reason I never asked anyone about this trip. It wasn't until nearly two decades later, when I happened to strike up a conversation with Jim Streible K4DLI that I heard the story firsthand. (Ironically, Jim was the father of one of my colleagues at Georgia Tech as well - something I didn't piece together until that conversation)

At lot has happened since those days. When the Desecheo Island DXpedition was active in 2009, I intentionally worked them on as many bands as I could -- since it was clear that it might be decades before it was active again. I logged them successfully on 160-15m, using CW, SSB and RTTY. Given my relative proximity to the DX, it wasn't that hard to work.

Needless to say, I am pumped about the Navassa Island DXpedition. The pileups will be huge, of course, but I expect to work them on as many bands. It will be great fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment